When it comes to bed bugs, not many would be worried as they are confident their home is not infested by this insect. But studies have shown that in one year, 2 in every 5 households are infected with bed bugs. Prevention is better than cure as some would say so it is always better to identify and remove any existence of bed bugs as soon as possible.
Bed bugs are small, about the size of an apple seed, and are flat and oval-shaped. They are usually reddish-brown in color but can appear darker or lighter depending on whether they have recently fed. Bed bugs are nocturnal and feed on blood while people are sleeping, which is why they are often found in beds or other sleeping areas.
Here are several indicators that can help you identify if your mattress or any furniture has been infested by bed bugs.
Bites: Little, red, itchy bumps on the skin, frequently in a line or cluster, are the most common symptoms of bed bug bites.
Bloodstains: You may notice little bloodstains on your linens or pillows. This occurs due to the bugs either bleeding or have been squashed.
Fecal stains: Bed bugs leave behind tiny, dark-colored stains on bedding, mattresses, or furniture. These could be noticeable, especially close to seams or folds, on your mattress, bed frame, or other pieces of furniture.
Skin residue: Bed bugs shed their skin as they develop and get older. These skins that have shed may be found near or in your mattress.
Bed bugs are a persistent problem that can cause frustration and anxiety for homeowners and travelers alike. These tiny parasites, which feed on human blood, are notoriously difficult to eliminate and can quickly infest a home, hotel room, or other living space.
Whether you’re dealing with a current infestation or simply want to be prepared in case of a future outbreak, here are some steps to help you get rid of bed bugs or prevent an infestation from happening.
- Inspect: Inspect your bed, mattress, box spring, and any furniture or objects near your bed for signs of bed bugs.
- Declutter and Clean Up: Get rid of any clutter from your home, especially in the areas that are infested. Thoroughly vacuum all of the upholstery, carpets, and floors. Bedding, drapes, and other materials should be washed in hot water and dried on the maximum heat setting.
- Mattress covers and Box Springs: Your mattress covers and box spring mattress are potential hiding places for bed bugs. However, the right kind of mattress and covers can prevent bed bugs from getting in or out. A mattress or cover that is anti-dust mite, anti-bacterial and hypoallergenic would be the right choice in preventing infestation of bed bugs.
- Use Insecticides: Insecticides can be effective in killing bed bugs, but they can be toxic to people and pets. It’s important to follow instructions carefully and use products that are labeled for bed bug control. It’s recommended to hire a pest control professional to apply insecticides.
- Heat treatments: High temperatures make bed bugs unable to thrive. An area that is infested is heated to a temperature of 50 to 60 degrees Celsius in order to eradicate bed bugs and their eggs.
- Contact a Pest Control Expert: It is important to contact a pest control expert if you have a serious bed bug infestation. They are equipped with the know-how and resources to properly examine and treat your home for bed bugs.
- Treatments: Treatments with intense cold can also eradicate bed bugs. It may be effective to freeze the infected things for a few days. This may only be applicable for furniture which is small as not everything can fit into a freezer, so pillows or blankets are possible.
Immediate action is necessary to stop the infestation from spreading when it comes to bed bugs as waiting can cause you a bigger problem and cost more to fix. Thus, purchasing the right mattress or even the right mattress cover from the get-go can make a world of a difference and reduce the need for you to buy a new mattress altogether.
Keeping bed bugs at bay
Origin Artic Cool Mattress Protector is the right choice to keep your bed-bug-free mattress. Made with ultra-soft Artic Cool cotton, this dual-layer mattress protector lets air flow through but keeps spills, stains and bugs away from damaging your mattress.
the Origin Arctic Cool Mattress Protector is a great investment for anyone looking to protect their mattress and enhance their sleeping experience in the hot and humid climate of Singapore.
You can enjoy a 7-night trial and the cover comes with a 2-year warranty because that’s how good Origin Artic Cool Mattress Protector is. The cover comes in the size of Single, Super Single, Queen and King. Get your desired size protector here at only $79 today!
And if you would prefer a better mattress that will help you avoid having to spend more than necessary then Origin Hybrid Mattress would be the right option. Its CloudCool™ Memory Foam + Natural Latex + Pocket Springs (patent pending) technology can help regulate your body temperature while also protecting you from those pesky little biters. The Origin Hybrid Mattress is made of CertiPUR-US® certified and CeriOEKO-TEX® certified that have been tested in independent labs, proving it is free of harmful substances.
To ensure you get your money’s worth, a 120-night trial period is included when you purchase Origin Hybrid Mattress. It also includes a 15-year warranty because that’s just how confident Origin is in providing its users with good mattresses.
Click here now to purchase your own Origin Hybrid Mattress for only $399 today!